Intensive Selection Day Preparation
When it comes to judicial selection days, many lawyers go from 'warriors in the courtroom' to 'worriers'. They find that the same skills, qualities and abilities that have served them well for decades suddenly abandon them. This is simply because the applicant often has limited interview experience and is outside their 'comfort zone' with something personal invested in the outcome with the questions being about them rather than their client.
No Stone Left Unturned
Our advanced Selection Day coaching leaves no stone unturned and ensures your are fully prepared. Before the session we will review any previous Selection Day feedback and identify areas of potential weakness in order to ensure targeted coaching. This may include issues relating to confidence, presence and identification and recall of appropriate examples not already used in your application form.
Our Selection Day coaching is delivered by Martin Soorjoo who has spent 12 years as a full-time coach and before that 15 years at the Bar practising at the highest level (House of Lords, European Courts and Major Public Inquiries). As such he understands how able lawyers think, communicate and perform and knows how to maximise their performance.
We will either meet you remotely or in person at our Farringdon office, ideally 5-10 days before your Selection Day. We match our coaching format to the format of your Selection Day i.e. if your Selection Day is remote we will meet you remotely.
From Judicial Presence to Efficient Recall
Each meeting last between 2-3 hours, during which we will demystify the process and provide you with strategies and techniques to overcome potential areas of weakness and ensure optimal performance. This includes:
- Ensuring you understand how best to demonstrate the competencies and how best to structure your answers. We have an in depth understanding of the type of questions you can expect to face and will advise you on how best to deal with them
- Teaching you how to instantly switch into the right State and Mindset. Many a JAC candidate has experienced 'Deer in Headlight' syndrome and a lack of confidence at their interview despite extensive preparation.
- Enabling you to easily recall fresh strong examples in interview in response to questions you haven't anticipated with a simple technique. You will be able to prove this ability to yourself during our mock interview. Natural spontaneous recall is far more effective than scripted and rehearsed answers.
- Advising on how to convey judicial presence. As all advocates know, it is not simply what you say but how you say it.
- A challenging and realistic 30 minute mock interview. Video recorded for your use only. This provides the opportunity to deploy the strategies and techniques covered in part 1. Our objective is to ensure that you deliver a strong performance in your mock interview.
- Feedback and advice on content and delivery. 32 years as a lawyer and 12 years as a judicial coach enables us to engage with you on the substance of your answers as well as whether or not you convey judicial presence.
- Addressing non-verbal communication issues e.g poor eye contact and incongruent body language. As any good lawyer knows, it is not simply a question of what you say, but how you say it that matters.
- Advice on navigating the role play including how to prepare in advance, targets your must hit and the most common mistakes you need to avoid making.
- If your Selection Day involves situational questioning instead of a role play we provide advice on the optimal approach to be adopted.
- For those competitions that include a presentation element (High Court and Court of Appeal) we review your presentation and provide feedback).
- How to reduce your preparation time and ensure you focus on the right targets.
The Extra Mile
In addition we:
- Provide all clients with free access to our Selection Day Video Coaching programme (which retails at £150 + VAT) at the end of our engagement with you.
- Work with clients during weekday evenings and at weekends where needed.
- Provide additional support if required right up to your Selection Day.
An intensive Selection Day preparation meeting typically last 2-3 hrs. Further mock interviews using different questions can be arranged on request.
We are normally fully booked well before a competition launches so if you wish to discuss working with us please call 020 7549 3606 for a no commitment discussion with one of the partners or email Jenny at email@example.com
We always go the extra mile for our clients because your world is our world.